Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday night, biking in the rain

I biked home from work in the rain tonight, which was fine, but I had planned to stop and top up my tires at the gas station. I think I got a bum tube when I replaced the tire, I shouldn't be having to top it up once a week. Ah well, I get paid on Monday, I'll pick up a new one.
The Boy is still recovering from his bout with wheat earlier this week, though we're wondering now if he's caught a bug that's going round. Hopefully not, and he'll be better tomorrow so we can go to my sister's wedding reception. She got married last month, I'm not sure why the delay between the two events, but it makes a kind of sense. I can't really say anything, my own reception was long after my wife and I eloped. Come to think of it, it worked out pretty well, since planning the reception doesn't butt up against planning the wedding, and you can focus more attention on each.
My old boss was at work today, doing something company related, and I got to chat with him for a bit. I'd forgotten the manic energy he brought to the place, it was nice to have the rapid fire hurling of jokes, insults and stupid puns that used to fly around like a demented hot potato with the staff, it felt good. I think we might have traumatized the new girl though, I hope she can fit in with our particular crew of degenerates.
We had the Egyptian Egypt freak in tonight, and he was trying to explain to me how the pyramids were acoutically tuned to contact the dead. It was polite smile and nod time, since we're not really supposed to sneer directly to the customer's faces, though I may have strained a facial muscle when he told me in all seriousness that though the dead could hear people singing in the Great Pyramid, they couldn't answer back. I had to put on the clenched teeth smile and bite back "Then how in the hell are you supposed to know anyone is listening? If I talk into my phone and no one answers me, I'm pretty sure no one is there! And if this is the only place on Earth that works like this, then how did they know to build it? And why stop at one? Why build the other, non-functioning pyramids if the whole point was to make a one way land of the dead communicator? The layout of the pyramid is like an inner ear? What? It was full of water at one point? What? GAAAAAAAHHHHH! RENT A MOVIE AND GO AWAY!!!!"
This is the same guy who tried to correct the spelling on my tattoo. The one I got as a memento mori for my dead twins. "No, you see, you only use that hieroglyph to refer to things that are not living!" "Yes, because they died." "Oh."

Y'know, I like Canada, and I'm proud of my Scottish heritage, but if I ever become blithering nitwit about either, smack me with a caber and drown me in poutine.

I tried making crab cakes yesterday, but without the flour to bind them, I ended up with crab mashed potatoes with fried crunchy bits. Presentation wise they looked like crud, but they tasted amazing with a little aloi and hot sauce.

I might actually try getting to bed at a sane hour tonight, let's see what happens.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, Gil old bean, someone should probably mention:

While your mad alliteration skillz are wicked pissah, your use of them is maybe just a tad contrary to the intent behind labelling of posts. Which would be, you know, to make posts on related topics easier to find?

:)

Gilgamesh said...

My blog, I can alliterate if I want to.

Gilgamesh said...

I suppose if it ever reaches a point where people need to find things, I'll make a change.