Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sitting in the airport, reflecting

<p>Hooray smartphones! <br>
I read through the old blog posts the other night and I think I need to do an update on my life at this point, things have seriously changed since I was updating. <br>
The Boy is 9 now, and his head comes up to just under his mother's chin. About two years ago he outgrew his wheat allergy, which is about the second best health related news we have ever gotten about him. We can now serve him anything,&nbsp; no more explosive ass syndrome, no more rage outs if he gets the wrong hotdog, no more paying 30 dollars for a pizza that eats like a punishment. Victory lap! <br>
Of course the best news we got was that his reassessment showed that he'd fallen off the Autism spectrum. This was also a year or so after what I'm going to laughingly call "the hiatus ".&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp; The Boy was doing occupational therapy five days a week, and was doing well enough that there was concern that he was going to graduate out of the program (which the people involved thought would be bad, because The Boy was clearly gaining a huge benefit from it). The Psychologist who was supervising his therapy was over to do his every couple of months visit and discuss options. I was on my way in the door from work. The night before when I had gone to take out my contact lenses, I discovered that someone had filled the case with some sort of green slime. This was a major wtf? moment. It was late, I was half asleep,&nbsp; and I didn't expect slimy green watermelon smelling goop. Fortunately I had a spare case,&nbsp; since I don't think any amount of washing would have gotten the watermelon smell out of the plastic&nbsp; or, by extension, my eyeballs the next day. The Boy was still asleep when I left for work. <br>
&nbsp; So the stage is set. I come in the door as the good doctor is leaving and I yell,<br>
&nbsp; "The Boy!&nbsp; Come here!".&nbsp; <br>
He comes running up and I say, <br>
"Did you put SOAP in my CONTACT LENSES LAST NIGHT??? "<br>
He collapses with the giggles, then springs up and,&nbsp; with a huge grin chortles, <br>
"I put soap in your contact lens case! BWA ha ha! "<br>
And runs off shrieking with laughter. <br>
&nbsp; The psychologist stopped in his tracks and said to me, <br>
"Hang on,&nbsp; he did this last night? "<br>
"Yes,&nbsp; he's discovered practical jokes... "<br>
"We're you home? "<br>
"No,&nbsp; I was at work, I didn't see him until just now. "
He looked at where The Boy had vanished upstairs and then said to me,
"We have to reassess him.  That's not spectrum behaviour, he's got a far too robust theory of mind. Did he say anything about what he did until now? "
"Nope. "
"To set up a joke like that when you weren't here, knowing the pay off wouldn't come until after he was asleep and then not say anything until the next day? That an extremely sophisticated ability to imagine how that's going to affect someone's mind. That takes a lot of anticipation and ability to wait for a payoff. I don't think he's autistic. I don't think he on the spectrum at all... " More when I land '

No comments: